Olya naralachi Karanji
Makes around 25 karanjis
For the stuffing:
- 2 cups grated coconut
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ghee/butter
- Cardamom powder
For the cover:
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup semolina
- ¼ cup oil
- Around 1 cup milk at room temperature
- Pinch of salt
- Oil for frying
- Mix all purpose flour and semolina together. Add oil in to the flour mixture. mix with your hand properly for about 5 minutes. Make a dough using little milk at a time. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and keep it aside for 1 hour.
- Heat a pan and add ghee. Add coconut and sugar. Stir and cook this mixture until it thickens. Add saffron and stir everything. The mixture should be dry enough to fill the karanji. Let it cool down completely and then add cardamom powder.
- Knead the dough again with little oil for 20 minutes. Make equal size small balls. Keep filling and dough ready for making karanjis.
- Roll out the ball into a thin circle. Add spoonful of stuffing in the center. ( Do not add too much stuffing since it may come out while frying)
- Apply little milk at the edges of the circle. Seal the edges tightly. Make a design with a fork and remove the extra dough. Make all the karanjis and cover them with a wet cloth.
- Heat oil in a pan. Place these karanjis in a oil. Fry them on a medium heat until them become golden from both the sides. Drain them on a paper.
- Cool them completely and store them in a airtight container.