Punjabi Kadhi Pakora
For the Pakora:
- ½ cup besan or gram flour
- ⅓ cup chopped onions
- ½ teaspoon red chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon ajwain or carom seeds
- Salt to taste
- Water to make the batter
For kadhi mixture:
- ½ cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoon besan or gram flour
- Salt to taste
- ½ cup water + 2 cups water
For Takda or seasoning:
- 2 tablespoon oil + oil to fry
- ½ teaspoon methi seeds or fenugreek seeds
- ½ teaspoon jeera or cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon haldi or turmeric powder
- 2 red chillies
- 1 green chili chopped
- ¼ teaspoon asafoetida
- ¼ teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- ½ cup sliced onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- To prepare the kadhi mixture: Get a bowl and add yogurt. Add besan, salt and ½ cup water. Mix well. There should not be any lumps. Keep it aside.
- In a seperate bowl, add all ingredients under 'Pakora'. Make a medium thick consistency batter by adding little water at a time.
- Heat oil in a pan to fry pakoras. Drop a tablespoon of batter into hot oil and fry until they are golden brown. Drain them on a paper.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in a another pan. Add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, green chili, and asafoetida. Stir well.
- Add sliced onion and ginger-garlic paste. Add turmeric powder and red chilli powder. Saute for a minute.
- Add kadhi mixture slowly in the pan. Add 2 cups of water. Let it boil on a medium flame. Stir continiously while boiling to avoid lumps.
- After one boil reduce the flame to simmer. Add all the pakoras and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes. Add chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with rice.